But did you also know that I'm not here on vacation or holiday. I'm actually here to teach English to the children of Tehuacan. And I gotta tell you something... it's probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Planning dozens of lessons each week, following special curriculum, making it a fun experience for all involved- it's just so exhausting. Teaching is muy dificil, and I say Bravo! to all my lovely friends that have made it their profession. I feel like I can barely do it for 3.5 more months. But someone wise (my dad) once told me this precious quote via Skype tonight when I called home complaining and now I will share it with all 3 of you blog stalkers:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed, but our power to do so is increased." - Heber J. Grant, 7th President of the LDS Church
I will admit that I have said at least a million little prayers each day I've been here just to get through my lessons. Then add the billion prayers from that one night when I had to walk home alone as fast as I could and it was almost dark and I was scared out of my mind that I would get R'd on the Mexican streets. Plus the prayers I know you will be saying for me after you read this. And in the end it just equals a whole lotta faith. That's what it takes. I can endure to the end. I can do hard things. But it's definitely gonna take some help from above.
And I must also say, these tan little kids are pretty darn cute and seeing them each day kinda makes it worth it. I wish I could show you their faces, but rules are rules and I can't. Instead I'll show you a snapshot of the cutest shoes I saw today.
She is probably 3 years old. In mexico. Wearing floral oxfords. What the what? I don't even own floral oxfords! This girl's got it going on. I could probably eat her up with a spoon with mango ice cream on the side (all the rage here. just ask Emeli, mi hermana). And that's her older brother standing next to her. Sometimes he wears classy sweaters and designer pants. Their mama certainly knows how to shop, and I applaud her.
If it wasn't past my bedtime, I would also tell you all about my Cinco de Mayo adventures and being stranded on a bus in the jungle for 6 hours. Alas, another story for another day. Mom, don't fret. I will write it as soon as I don't have 11 more lesson plans to write and Spanish lessons to attend.
Buenas noches, chiquititas!
2 comments:
i miss you.
love, jack
hey girlfriend, hang in there! teaching sure is tough. this is how I felt when I started teaching the little missionaries....totes overwhelming. but satisfying and rewarding.
Post a Comment