Recently I have been second guessing myself and the career path I thought I wanted when I chose my major over 4 years ago. I've already decided to put off grad school for a year, but lately I've been thinking I want even more time off. Maybe even two years. I'm almost positive I want to find some sort of full time secretary position when I return to Provo (hopefully at some department at BYU) because I already know I'm good at it. I'd go as far as to say I'm exceptional at it. And I love that atmosphere of answering thousands of phone calls and questions, organizing things, entering data, scheduling appointments, etc. But it's completely unrelated to Speech Pathology. What the heck am I thinking?!
I guess what scares me the most about grad school is not knowing if I'll be any good at it. Not knowing if after 2 additional long, challenging, and expensive years of education/training will I be any good at the profession. I really, really like to be good at the things I choose to do. It's not a great trait, but it's one I've always had.
But I know that I love people with disabilities. My oh my, how they warm my heart and soul. I love them. I would love to have a profession that helps these sweet people of the earth who can't quite do all the same things everyone else can do in quite the same ways.
Mexico has given me loads of time to ponder what I like and what I don't like. What I want for my future and what I don't want for my future. Putting off planning lesson plans has its advantages and disadvantages. I lose a tiny bit of sleep, but then I find some really sweet awesome videos like this one:
You should probably know that I teared up while watching this video. And I realized that I do want to do that. That thing that's gonna change the lives of people who can't quite get out all the words they want to get out. I'm just not sure how ready I am to do that.
So even though it might not happen right away, I'm pretty darn sure it's gonna happen. Heavenly Father certainly has a plan for me, and with loads of prayers and faith, it's gonna be awesome no matter what.
3 comments:
HANNAH!!! come work at my company!!! North Eastern Services. We have offices all over Utah. I'm in Salt Lake, but we've got one in Orem, Ogden, everywhere, basically. We work with adults with disabilities! You could look into doing a secretary position like I am, or, they have staff shifts where you could be in the houses with clients. check them out! nesutah.com!
That video was precious!!! I can see you helping sweet kids like that. But I'm ok with you taking more time off. You gotta do what you gotta do. And I think you might need a longer break. You have other goals too, so maybe some time off from school will help you accomplish them...
First of all, you should know that I definitely teared up watching that too.
Also, I can tell how much you love those little kiddies you teach every day. And how you especially love those with disabilities when you haven't even met them yet! That's how you know you'll be good at what you do. You've been blessed with the ability to communicate with that demographic and I know you'll be great!
Post a Comment