Sunday, August 26, 2012

'Cause I'm on top of the world, 'ay

Post title lyrics from this lovely song by the talented Imagine Dragons. So excited for all their new success! Even Glee's doing a version of It's Time. Tee hee! Props goes to The Momma who first heard this song at a work meeting. I think it goes quite nicely with this post. 

Dear concerned citizens of the Blogosphere, 

I am alive and well and I have recently relocated to Texas.

You have may have noticed my talented and lovely sister updated my blog header to more appropriately fit my current stage of life. (Come check it out if you're on Google reader!) If you recall, this is what I had before: 


That panda sure was adorable, and though I'll miss him so much, this new header is here to stay (at least for the next 7 semesters). 

In case you missed it, I will be attending Texas Woman's University (I embarrassed myself and kept calling it Women's instead of Woman's up until this week when I had orientation. HOW EMBARRASSING) to pursue a master's degree in Communication Disorders. It's pretty self explanatory, but I'll just tell you anyway. Em spelled out palindrome phonetically (get it? speech pathology and phonetics? they go hand in hand! hardy har har) and also added that cutie little Texas because well that's where I live, Sillies. Plain and simple as that. And I loveeeeeeee it. 

So now I'm just gonna get real for a bit because this is my blog and I do how I please. If you thought this would include mostly Instagrams then you're wrong. It includes mostly words as I reflect on life and how I got here, and I'm pretty sure you'll stop reading here, Katie Derrick, but that's jusssssssssssst fine. 

I graduated BYU in 2011 and knew it was best for me to take at least a year off of school. I was just burnt-out and needed a break. And then I went to Mexico and loved that, but had my doubts about my future

Then I got this really cool dream job, which turned out pretty nicely until he couldn't give me full time hours and then up and decided to move to India. So artistic, so hipster, so awesome. But then if I hadn't left that job when I did, I wouldn't have found my new job as a Speech Language Technician. And then I wouldn't have realized how cool this field really is and truly solidified my desire to be a real live SLP. 

So yes, I did have 5 different jobs in the past 10 months, but working was not my main focus. I took this year off of school to just relax and have fun and really figure out what I want out of life. Grad school was the last thing on my mind, and I actually dreaded the thought of having to go back to classes and homework. If you rewind to last October, I visited a friend doing the same program at ASU, and after seeing her busy lifestyle I literally wanted to vomit and never attempt such a thing. Like literally. I was so grumpy just imagining myself at grad school anywhere. 

When I applied to grad schools in December and January, moving back home to attend TWU was  honestly the worst case scenario and very last option in my plans.  I imagined myself at UT hanging out with the fruitcake liberals of Austin, far enough away from my hometown, but still close enough to visit my main peeps. But you know it goes, life happens when you're making other plans. When I hadn't been accepted to any programs by the beginning of April I just told Heavenly Father I'd stick it out in Provo just one more year and party with my BFFLS while pretending to study for the GRE retake. And wouldn't you know it, Heavenly Father thought that was pretty hilarious, so not 2 days after making that decision, I was accepted to not only TWU but also the U of U. 

All signs pointed to TWU and living at home with my main peeps (as in living at the same house with my baby brother and parents even though I've been independent for the past 5 years.... yep...) As much as I never thought I would do such a thing, it just felt so right and still does. (Also, when your mom makes scrumptious homemade dinner and basically encourages you to watch Downton Abbey and Project Runway on DVR almost every night, how can you say no? Oh, and if you can find me a place that's cheaper than free, please let me know)

Heavenly Father knows exactly what we need and when we need it, all we have to do is trust in Him. He's got it all figured out, so I just gotta learn to be a little bit more patient and wait as He unravels all of life's surprises for me. 

So here I am, on the eve of my first day of grad school and I couldn't be more excited. This is exactly where I'm supposed to be doing exactly what I'm supposed to do. 

It may have taken a full year to feel this ready, but I do and I'm on top of the world. 

And since you've made it this far, I will reward you with a preview of what's to come on Instagram tomorrow! Brace yourself for some straight up adorableness. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved this. And I'm so proud of you starting grad school, especially since you chose the school with a Chickfila on campus. Also who's your fav on Project Runway this season?