Monday, May 30, 2011

Dearest Magnolia, we could get along but we never did belong.


June 2, 2008 Matt Costa concert at the House of Blues

Hanita, it's Memorial Day! Where is the usual youtube video summarizing your feelings about the holiday?

Well dear reader, I must admit that I was this close to posting a video of Kelly Clarkson singing "God Bless America" at a baseball game somewhere. And maybe I even searched for a video of JB singing the National Anthem even though I already know he's Canadian. A girl can hope, right? But I'm taking this post in a different direction, amigos.

I will definitely say that I am so grateful for the brave men and women who serve my home country and protect our freedoms. Truly. I am so proud to be an American and I have deep gratitude for all the soldiers who keep us safe.

But I feel that Memorial Day may also be a small chance to remember other people who serve you in different ways. Maybe I'm stretching it too much? Either way, this post is dedicated to my favorite little sis. Because she continues to serve me in more ways than she probably knows. And by golly, I am feeling super nostalgic this week!

3 years ago around this same time of year, we spontaneously decided to go and see Matt Costa perform at the Dallas House of Blues. We hardly knew his any of his music, but the tickets were cheap and it was summer and summer means concerts. We stood close enough to touch him. The music was so wonderful and we were sorry we couldn't sing along with more of his songs. The whole drive home we swore we would never be unprepared like that again. And then we ate Wendy's chicken nuggets and Frosty's. And I loved it. 

Last year at this time, we were living together in a small 4 person apartment. But it was just us 2 as the other girls were off seeing the world for the summer. We celebrated Memorial Day with homemade hamburgers on our mini George Foreman and drank way too much Minute Maid LIGHT lemonade. Only 5 calories a serving for such a delightful treat! Does it get any better than that?! We even splurged and put some fries in the oven. And then we turned on the movie "America's Sweethearts" which seemed so promising since it included some great actors like Billy Crystal, John Cusack, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Julia Roberts. Unfortch, we were totes not impressed. The day ended as simple as that. And guess what? I loved every minute of it. 

She's unbelievably crafty, witty, and kind. She writes such eloquent blog posts about the beauty of Mexico and takes even better pictures to prove it. She has fantastic taste in music, as it is 94% the same as mine. She speaks Spanish pretty darn well, she loves Raspas more than she should, she fits into Gap kids' jeans, she's the best little sister in the world, and she's one of my very best friends. 

April 28, 2011 Plane just landed in Mexico City

Thanks so much for coming on this international adventure with me, Garcia Dos. May this summer be our best one yet. 

Happy Memorial Day, amigos! I hope you celebrated living in that awesome country of ours with BBQ's, pool parties, and maybe even a little bit of MM Light Lemonade on behalf of your own American Sweethearts living abroad.

Peace and blessings from Mexico xoxoxo


3 comments:

emily. said...

you look perfect. and i look bad.

almost cried when i read this.
hope mom really does cry.

Ruth said...

Well, I didn't cry, but I am happy my girls love each other. That's a happy present to their mom. And I like how you make me hunt down the song that your blog titles always allude to. And then I listen to them. And of course I love them. I hadn't heard Miss Magnolia in a while, so thanks!

Unknown said...

oh em hannah, we are twinners. i heart sisters, matt costa, chicken nuggies,summer, and lemonade too!