Sunday, August 21, 2011

Such a shame for us to part

Dearest Mexico,

My time with you has ended. I am now back in my homeland baking like a cookie in the oven. Who knew that your weather would be about 7 trillion times better than this humid triple digit Texas heat? And who knew I would actually forget how to flush toilet paper in the toilet? Seriously.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the great times and reminisce just a little bit if I may.

I already miss the whistles and cat calls I got on the streets. Such a boost of confidence each day. I look good, real good, and who will notice now?!

I miss being around the group of teachers non-stop. We really became great friends and we're all each other had for the past 4 months. It's gonna be quite different living apart from now on. Thank goodness we already have our first reunion planned!

I miss the thousands of birthday parties I attended and all the wonderful Mexican friends I made at each one. But I don't miss the wet cakes. Sign me up for dry Betty Crocker box mixes POR FAVOR.

I miss your normal cheese flavor Doritos and how they actually tasted spicy like the American Salsa Verde flavor. What a kick to my taste buds!

I don't miss queasy bus rides and being addicted to Dramamine,  but I do miss all the vacation adventures I had.

I miss my host family and all of their wonderfulness.

I miss the Luna-Heslington family and their adorable girls like no one's business!

I miss the Mexican children and their little Spanish accents. Boy, do I miss them. Let's not talk about that part because then I'll start crying.

But mostly I just miss YOU, Mexico, and everything that you are. I had the greatest adventure of my life  with you this summer. It was basically one giant Spanish speaking vacation, and I'm so glad I went. You and your beautiful, charitable, generous, awesome people have changed my life and I'm closer to my heritage than ever before. You will always have a piece of my heart. I owe you one.

Con mucho amor,

Hannah B.

No comments: